The Professional Standards unit receives and deals with complaints of child abuse or sexual misconduct by members of the clergy and church workers. The Safe Ministry Board formulates and monitors policy and practice, and advises on child protection and safe ministry for the Anglican Church Diocese of Sydney.
Safe Ministry Representative
The safe ministry representative is to be appointed by the Minister with the concurrence of the parish council.
DUTIES OF SAFE MINISTRY REPRESENTATIVE
A. Assist the Minister to comply with child protection screening.
B. Keep safe ministry training records.
C. Monitor & report on Safe Ministry systems & practice in the parish.
D. Report abuse by clergy or church workers.
Our Safe Ministry Representative is Kate Semler.
If you wish to speak to someone about abuse that has happened in a church or by someone involved in an Anglican church please contact the Anglican Abuse Report Line by phone on 1800 774 945 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Safe Ministry Policy
West Ryde Anglican Church is committed to the physical, emotional and spiritual welfare and safety of all people, particularly within its own community. To ensure the safety of children and vulnerable people in our communities, West Ryde Anglican Church, in conjunction with the Anglican Church of Australia, will –
• Carefully recruit and train its clergy and church workers,
• Adopt and encourage safe ministry practices by its clergy and church workers,
• Respond promptly to each concern raised about the behaviour of its clergy and church workers,
• Offer pastoral support to any person who has suffered abuse, and
• Provide supervision of and pastoral accountability (within the context of the ministries, locations and activities of the parish) to any person (who is a member of a congregation and) who is known to have abused a child or another vulnerable person.